Saturday, October 4, 2014

SOUPer saturdays - southwestern chicken stew



I get way too excited about grocery shopping.  Especially at Aldi.  I know this about me, as do many of my friends, and I'm OK with it.  

I like seeing what's new, I like getting my regular staples, and I LOVE the prices.  I can't hardly go anywhere else to do major shopping, because I know how much less I'll pay at Aldi for a basket full.  They have fabulous organic items, consistently the best produce, and a wonderful array of gourmet cheeses and international foods I never would/could splurge on at other stores' prices.  And did you know they're owned by the same company as Trader Joes? 


I have tried really hard lately to try not to buy way over what we need.  I've really tried to use what's in our freezer, leftover veggies in the crisper, and anything else I can find to scrounge up a decent meal for the family.  Today's recipe is a result of doing just that, and all of the major ingredients happened to come from Aldi.  If you have one nearby, it's definitely worth a try. Take your recyclable grocery bags, a quarter for your cart, and an open mind.  If you're all about the thrill of the hunt, you'll love this place!

I am excited to say that in Nashville temperatures have plummeted and I am totally pumped for a Fall weekend.  This stew will warm you nicely and doesn't take any time to throw together. Totally versatile, a ladle full would be great served over rice, corn cakes, nacho chips or just in a bowl.  

Enjoy!

Southwestern Chicken Stew
serves 4-6

  • 2 (10 oz) bags frozen southwest corn blend
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted salsa style tomatoes
  • 1 (46 oz) can tomato juice
  • 4 cooked chicken breasts (mine came straight out of the freezer)
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • garlic, sour cream, and cilantro for garnish
~  Stir together corn, tomatoes, juice, and spices in crock pot.  Add frozen chicken breasts.

~ Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken shreds easily with two forks (I just did it in 
    the pot).

~ Ladle into bowl or over rice, corn cakes, etc., and garnish to taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!