Monday, January 6, 2014

pumpkin maple swirl butter




Waiting for word on whether or not school is out with fingers and toes crossed.  You'd think after two full weeks of vacation for the holiday, I'd be OK going back.  But, oh my.  These sweet moments with family are hard to let go.  And the mornings... how I love the mornings of lazy days.  Especially when they're not planned ones.  

I'm visualizing a mid-morning breakfast following my first cup of coffee (Sumatran Reserve, to be exact), biscuits and gravy, country ham, eggs (scrambled for Daniel, over-easy for John), Luke's pancakes...

And this butter.  This butter, I adore.

Last year I blogged about my Berry Butter.  At nearly 40,000 hits, it has - by far - been the most popular post of the blog.  I really have meant to come up with another one before now, but good things are worth waiting for, right?  

Complete with a dash of Kosher salt and swirls of pure maple syrup, this creamy pumpkin treasure is smooth and balanced.  I've thoroughly enjoyed it on the Pecan Wheat Bread I featured in my last post, but it's also a wonderful accompaniment to pancakes, sourdough, yeast rolls, you name it!

I hope everyone stays warm and safe over the next few days.  Stay tuned to the blog... more great posts coming your way!

Pumpkin Maple Swirl Butter
makes one cup
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 tbsp confectioner's sugar
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
  • 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
~ Whip butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.

~ Gradually add pumpkin, scraping sides periodically.  Cream until fully incorporated.

~ Add syrup, spice and salt.  Mix well.

~ Seal in airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to two weeks or freeze up to 
   three months.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!