Thursday, December 27, 2012

blackberry butter



It is crazy to me how fast time flies.  Wasn't I just blogging yesterday about the blackberry discovery we made on our summer trip to Gatlinburg?  Now, it's nearly six months later, and we're far from summer vacationing.

I had about a half gallon of blackberries left from our trip, hanging out in the deep freezer.  While trying to think about options for Christmas goodie bags, I ran all kinds of ideas through my head of how to use up the berries.  The Amish White Bread was already a definite for the bags, so it didn't take me too long to determine that a good butter would make a great companion.


Blackberry Butter was born.

For the bags, I packaged them in logs, wrapped in parchment paper, twisted and twined on the ends.  I also gave them to others in canning jars.  Either way, I was pleased with the presentation and equally satisfied with the flavor.  I'm looking forward to experimenting with some other butter ideas.  I already love the stuff in its truest form...  why not consider other ways to make it interesting and fun?

Happy whipping!

Blackberry Butter - makes one pound of butter
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound salted butter, softened
  • 1/8 cup of honey
  • 1/2 cup blackberries
~ Whip together butter and honey until fluffy.
~ Add in berries and mix in short bursts until desired look is achieved.  I did not want mine
   to be completely emulsified, so I "broke" up the berries slightly with just a few turns of 
   the paddle attachment.
~ If storing in jars, scoop into jar and wipe mouth clean.  Cap and refrigerate.
~ If storing in logs, place a piece of plastic wrap over a piece of aluminum foil the same size.  
~ Scoop out butter along length of wrap/foil, folding wrap over butter and rolling into 
   consistent-sized cylinder.  Roll up foil around log and twist ends.  Refrigerate or freeze.

Recipe from The Lazy Daisy Kitchen.